Skip to content
- Globally, road accidents are one of the leading causes of death and disability. According to the WHO, approximately 1.35 million people die each year due to road accidents, and many more are injured or disabled.
- India has one of the highest rates of road accidents in the world. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), India accounts for approximately 11% of global road accident fatalities.
- Young people are at a higher risk of road accidents globally, with road accidents being the leading cause of death among people aged 15-29.
- Every year, around 1.5 lakh people die in road accidents in India, and many more are injured or disabled.
- In India, road accidents are more likely to occur on highways, where vehicles travel at high speeds, and there are often inadequate safety measures.
- Driver error is the leading cause of road accidents in India and accounts for approximately 80% of all accidents.
- Other factors that contribute to road accidents in India include poor road conditions, faulty vehicles, and inadequate road safety measures.
- Low- and middle-income countries account for approximately 90% of global road accident fatalities, despite having only around 60% of the world’s vehicles.
- Road accidents have a significant economic impact, with the cost of road accidents estimated to be around 3% of global GDP.
- The most effective ways to prevent road accidents include improving road infrastructure and safety measures, enforcing traffic laws, promoting safe driving practices, and increasing awareness about road safety.
- Around 05 lakh road accidents occur in the
whole of India, out of which more than 01 lakh 35 thousand people are killed.
That is, 1 person is killed every 4 minutes. India accounts for 6.5 percent of
the world’s total road accidents.
to 80,000 crores rupees per year in India due to road accident.
- 1.35 million people are killed in road accidents every year all over the world, these many people have not died even in any world war or any major natural disaster.
accident is the 5th biggest cause of death of people.
lot of property will be required to prevent any war or natural disaster, but no
property is required to prevent road accident deaths. If the road users follow
the traffic rules then the deaths and losses due to road accident can be easily